The Distinguished Service Award (DSA) is to provide recognition to those REALTORS® who have provided many years of leadership and distinguished service to the REALTOR® organization as well as in their local community. The IAR Recognition Committee based on the following criteria selects the DSA recipient.
- Must be a member of IAR for a minimum of 15 years, and 10 of those years spent in active participation in association activities.
- Must have a valid broker or appraiser license and be currently active in the real estate industry.
- Have a record of community service activities and involvement.
- Have a record of service to her/his local association, and IAR.
- Have not served as President of IAR for the past five years, and have not been named as REALTOR® of the Year for the past five years.
- A maximum of two recipients may be selected per year.
- The recipient may not be selected posthumously unless the selection has been made prior to the recipient’s death.
- Nominees must receive the endorsement of the President of their local association.
- The DSA Selection Committee feels that “honor seeks the candidate; not the reverse.” Therefore, politicking and campaigning are strongly discouraged.
- Current members of Directors Council members are not eligible for nomination.
DSA Selection Procedure
Nominations, including a signature by the local Association/Board President, will be submitted on a time schedule determined by IAR staff. The submission deadline shall allow the presentation to be held in the Fall. The IAR Recognition Committee will select winners.
- One appointment by IAR President who will be the chair.
- The two most recent REALTORS® of the Year that are available to serve.
- The two most recent DSA recipients that are available to serve.
In the event there are not members to fill the above slots, the President shall make an appointment to the position.
- The Selection Committee does not solicit or encourage use of supportive documents and materials (letters of recommendation, newspaper articles, news releases, etc.) with the candidate nomination form. All such materials will be discarded and not included with the nomination forms reviewed by the Selection Committee.
- Only those nominations submitted on the official nomination format as provided will be considered. Nominations that do not follow this format will not be considered.
- A current photograph of the candidate must accompany the nomination form; a digital photograph is preferred.
- All nominations must be signed but the President of the nominees Local Board/Association.
- Nominations are not carried over from year to year. Nominees from the previous year will not be automatically reconsidered. A new nomination form must be submitted for consideration each year.
- All DSA nomination forms submitted for consideration are kept strictly confidential. All materials submitted become the property off IAR and will not be returned. After the DSA Selection Committee determines the recipients, all materials are destroyed.
(All forms must be received by August 15.)