THE PROGRAM: Selection of each participating local Board/Association of the REALTOR® member who has contributed most to the advancement of his/her profession and the community at large during the CURRENT YEAR.
I. PURPOSE: To recognize and award REALTOR® members of our local Boards/Associations for effort expended in the interest of their fellow REALTORS®, their community and the real estate profession and who exemplify the highest level of professional conduct in serving the real estate needs of the general public.
II. SUGGESTED STANDARDS FOR SELECTION OF WINNERS: The following set of standards for choosing the REALTOR® of the Year is in no way mandatory. It is a suggested guide.
- REALTOR® PROFESSIONALISM: High principles, faithfulness to laws and regulations, the Code of Ethics, and the furtherance of principles of good real estate practice among other brokers and the general public
- REALTOR® DESIGNATIONS: Designations, advanced education and/or training
- COMMUNITY SERVICE: Local, State, and National level of participation in civic and service clubs, charitable activities, political activities, fraternal or religious groups, etc.
- LOCAL BOARD ACTIVITY: Board offices held and committee work, special assignments, seminar activity and educational work membership and offices held in local chapters or institutes, etc.
- STATE ASSOCIATION ACTIVITY: Offices held and committee work, attendance and participations at Boards of Directors meetings, and educational conferences, etc.
- NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS ACTIVITY: National offices held, committee work, membership and work in institutes, attendance at NAR Conventions, etc.
The procedure for selection of the local REALTOR® of the Year, which has been found most successful, begins with the appointment of a Selection Committee of from three to five active Board/Association members, by the Board/Association President. Often times, the immediate past REALTOR® of the Year serves as chairman. Nomination forms are available online for all active Board/Association members to submit by a specified deadline. As the forms come in, the members of the committee review them, adding recommendations if they wish.
The standards of judgment should be established beforehand. These standards can be either on general accomplishments of the nominees or on a stricter point system. While completing the form, remember to keep in mind the standards on which the state committee will choose the State REALTOR® of the Year. Local associations may modify these requirements as needed and their local recipient will still be honored at IAR’s Annual Recognition Luncheon.