THE PROGRAM: Selection of each participating local Board/Association of the REALTOR® member who has contributed most to the advancement of his/her profession and the community at large during the CURRENT YEAR.
I. PURPOSE: To recognize and award REALTOR® members of our local Boards/Associations for effort expended in the interest of their fellow REALTORS®, their community and the real estate profession and who exemplify the highest level of professional conduct in serving the real estate needs of the general public.
II. SUGGESTED STANDARDS FOR SELECTION OF WINNERS: The following set of standards for choosing the REALTOR® of the Year is in no way mandatory. It is a suggested guide.
- REALTOR® SPIRIT: High principles of integrity, adherence to the REALTOR® Code of Ethics, and furtherance of the principles of good real estate practice among brokers, agents, and the general public
- CIVIC ACTIVITY: Local, state, and national level participation in civic and service clubs, charitable activities, political commissions, or fraternal or religious groups
- BUSINESS ACCOMPLISHMENTS: Public recognition of business conduct, service to clients, imaginative and creative advertising programs, rehabilitation work, land utilization, etc.
- LOCAL ASSOCIATION/BOARD ACTIVITY: Local offices held and committee work, special assignments, seminar activity and educational work, membership, and offices held in local chapters of Institutes, Societies, and Councils
- STATE ASSOCIATION ACTIVITY: State offices held and committee work, attendance and participation in state conventions, director’s meetings, and educational conferences
- NATIONAL ASSOCIATION ACTIVITY: National offices and committee work, membership, and work in Institutes, Societies, and Councils, attendance at national conventions and directors’ meetings
The procedure for selection of the local REALTOR® of the Year, which has been found most successful, begins with the appointment of a Selection Committee of from three to five active Board/Association members, by the Board/Association President. Often times, the immediate past REALTOR® of the Year serves as chairman. Nomination forms are available online for all active Board/Association members to submit by a specified deadline. As the forms come in, the members of the committee review them, adding recommendations if they wish.
The standards of judgment should be established beforehand. These standards can be either on general accomplishments of the nominees or on a stricter point system. While completing the form, remember to keep in mind the standards on which the state committee will choose the State REALTOR® of the Year. Local associations may modify these requirements as needed and their local recipient will still be honored at IAR’s Annual Recognition Luncheon.